Mackellar is home to one of Australia’s most vibrant arts and music communities. The Northern Beaches has been home to world renowned artists and musicians with acts like members of the band INXS, Angus and Julia Stone, Midnight Oil, Icehouse, Lime Cordiale, and authors such as Michael Robothom, Sarah Turnbull and Thomas Keneally – just to name a few.
While recent data indicates that over 8% of the Northern Beaches workforce is employed in creative occupations, almost double the national average of 4.2%. That’s why I support policies that help to grow our live music, arts and cultural sector.
My key arts and culture policy priorities are:
- Developing a national strategy for arts and culture
- Protecting and increasing funding to our public broadcasters ABC and SBS
- Harnessing support for arts education in schools, TAFE and across the tertiary sector
- Encouraging pathways for arts and cultural participation and spaces for creativity
My action on arts and cultural policy:
- Supported Independent Senator David Pocock’s Fair Pay for Radio Play Bill, which aims to remove caps what musicians and artists can earn when they’re music is played.